Sunday, February 6, 2011

German Pancake

Growing up at my house, I was lucky enough to regularly wake up on weekends to the smell of stewed apples and German pancake, thanks to my mother.   When she is in the kitchen, her movements seem choreographed and effortless.  I've always been impressed with how she manages to be so dang casual while cooking.  This recipe is one of the few that I can actually pull off without stressing too much.

 
My mom originally got this recipe from my aunt who is also a wonderful cook. The great thing about these pancakes is that you need only three ingredients. Okay, in the end you need a few more, but the batter itself is very easy to make.

I usually serve the pancakes with yogurt, homemade applesauce and powdered sugar. Today I only had blueberries and the sugar on hand, so I decided to try throwing in the berries to cook with the batter.  It ended up turning out well.

German Pancakes 

1 cup flour
4 eggs
1 cup milk
a dab of butter

optional toppings:

yogurt
homemade applesauce or other fruit, sliced
powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Put the butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet. Place the skillet in the preheating oven for a few minutes, until the butter has melted. Carefully swirl the pan around, coating the bottom and sides with the melted butter.

 
Throw the flour and eggs in a bowl. Whisk together until smooth.

Add the milk and mix to combine. Pour the batter into the cast iron.  At this point, I threw in about a half cup of blueberries right in with the batter.
Cook for 15 minutes.  Turn down the oven to 350 degrees and cook until the edges of the pancake are golden brown, about 10 minutes.


Slide a knife along the edge of the pan to release the pancake. Carefully lift it out with a spatula onto a plate. It will slightly deflate at this point, which is normal. Serve with your desired fixings. Enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. I can't believe we never made it with fruit in the dough! Good thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it comin, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea.. I like the fruit addition! I hope you know that I use the Lee family recipe often to make German Pancakes in Maine. They are so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to make one right now! Thanks Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Feel free to send me a slice.

    ReplyDelete