Monday, May 9, 2011

"Spring" Smoothies


It obviously does not feel like spring yet.  Okay fine.  About once an hour, for maybe three minutes, the sun will peak out and you can feel it's warmth.  Otherwise, it's still gray and gloomy in Portland. Like most people around here, I'm eager for the summer weather to hit. Meanwhile, I'm getting ready for the anticipated delicious summer crops by eating up all of the fruit from last summer that's still storing in Dave's freezer.  So I've been making loads of smoothies -almost- completely made with local ingredients. I was pumped to discover that there is a Tualatin soy milk that I can get at New Seasons along with a few varieties of local yogurt. The hiccup was the honey, which came from British Columbia, but I only used a dab.



Peach and Blueberry Smoothie

I tend to err on the nutty, creamy side when it comes to smoothies.  I use frozen fruit though sometimes I'll throw in a fresh banana. Also, I never add juice (okay sometimes I'll add orange juice) and I never, never add ice.  I just think it's a waste of space.

a large handful of frozen blueberries
3 or 4 frozen peach wedges (about half a peach)
about 1/2 cup plain soy milk, plus more as needed (if you have sweetened soy milk then you shouldn't need any honey)
about a 1/3 cup of plain yogurt
a small glob of honey (optional)

I use an immersion blender, but a regular blender will work fine.  Throw in the soy milk and the fruit and let sit for about a minute to soften the fruit.  Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth but still thick.  Watch out for the brain freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment