Sunday, May 13, 2012

Yogurt Cups with Stewed Rhubarb


Once again, it has been awhile.  I finally broke down and purchased a decent tripod and got ahold of an essential camera USB cord that I have been missing for far too long. Thankfully I can now blog with ease.  Though, I'm finding that managing our huge garden solo is slightly more time consuming than I'd like.  For instance, the majority of our front yard is currently a throng of fava plants which are vigorously producing beans.   But I'll hopefully have a harvest party in the next couple of weeks and then a fava recipe or two to follow. 

Anyway, tis the season of rhubarb and it doesn't last long, so we've got to make the best of it. I do love a rhubarb crisp, but stewing rhubarb is incredibly quick and just as tasty.  Plus, I'm trying to get back into the habit of eating yogurt daily.  I was a little hesitant at first to combine the stringy texture of rhubarb with smooth yogurt.  I found that as long as the rhubarb is cooked until it's really tender, they make a great combination.


I used to make this recipe with just a pinch of cinnamon.  I ate it with yogurt and raw oats almost every morning for awhile.  As you can probably guess, I got very sick of it.  So I thought adding some orange zest instead of cinnamon this time around would really brighten the flavor.  Plus, mixing it with just yogurt is simple enough to keep me interested for awhile. You can also keep it warm and serve it Dave's favorite way, on oatmeal almond waffles.  

Stewed Rhubarb
adapted from Martha Stewart

makes a hefty cup of cooked rhubarb

3 medium-sized rhubarb stalks, cut into 1/2-inch slices (about 2 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup sugar
a couple tablespoons of water
1/4 tsp orange zest

Throw the rhubarb slices, sugar, and water into a small saucepan and heat on medium-high until gently boiling.  Reduce to medium-low and simmer until the rhubarb is very tender, about 5 minutes. Remove the rhubarb from the pan.  Continue to simmer the sugar water until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.  Add the zest and the cooked rhubarb. Let cool. That is all.


Yogurt Cups

It depends on your taste, but I like to add maybe a 1/4 cup of stewed rhubarb to a half pint jar and then fill it up with plain yogurt.  I'll wait to stir it up until I'm ready to eat it. You might want to add more if you find it's too sour, or vice versa if it's too sweet.  



No comments:

Post a Comment