Monday, May 27, 2013

Spring Salad with Tamari Sunflower Seeds


Summer is nearly on the way which means some exciting changes are on the horizon for the blog. As I mentioned before, Dave is heading the CSA operation for Harlequin Organic Produce this season. Starting in June, I will help Dave sell produce and distribute CSA shares at the farmer's market on Tuesday evenings. I am thrilled to be working with such dedicated, hardworking, and ethical farmers.

When I decided to help out at the farmer's market, an idea sparked in Dave's head to tie the recipes on the blog with the set of vegetables delivered from Harlequin each week. It is often difficult to use up a week's helping of produce and unfamiliar vegetables (i.e. celery root) can be intimidating.  By tying the blog to the CSA share, customers will get an idea of what to cook based on which vegetables they've received. I will focus my recipes on simple meals that incorporate a few of the vegetables from each week. 

To introduce the partnership between Harlequin and the blog, I thought I'd post a tasty salad recipe using some of Harlequin's spring produce. Starting in mid June, I will begin my weekly posting of Harlequin-inspired vegetable recipes. 

If anyone has questions about how the blog will change with this seasonal partnership, please email me or leave a comment. Also, if you want to get a CSA share, there's still time! Oh, and I still plan to blog non-vegetable recipes, because I'm sure we'll all need some sweet treats here and there. 



Dave has familiarized me with a number of "unusual" vegetables, including turnips. I'm sure my mom is rolling her eyes right now, because there is a good chance I had plenty of turnips when I was little. Regardless, it wasn't until recently that I began to appreciate and enjoy them. They are great in savory pies or pasties, but in the spring they are best eaten raw.

Harlequin's salad turnips are bright and sweet, perfect for slicing into a salad or just eating like an apple. Plus, their salad mix is killer. When you've got good salad greens, there is little else you need to make a delicious salad. Just a homemade dressing and a few garnishes will create a satisfying dish. 

Spring Salad
makes 2 to 3 servings

2 large handfuls of salad mix
2 or 3 medium salad turnips, peeled and very thinly sliced
tamari sunflower seeds (recipe below)
honey mustard dressing (recipe below)

Mix together greens, sliced turnips and seeds in a medium bowl. Gently toss with dressing. Serve.



Back in college, Dave would regularly make these tamari seeds. We seemed to take a break during our stint in Portland, but Dave has been making them more often this spring. They are cheap, easy to prepare and add a nice salty nuttiness to any salad. 

For those of you who are unfamiliar with tamari, it is a type of less salty soy sauce. I recommend using true tamari, however, regular soy sauce will also work fine in this recipe.

Tamari Sunflower Seeds

1/4 c raw sunflower seeds
2 tsp tamari or soy sauce

On medium heat in a dry cast iron pan or other frying pan, slowly toast sunflower seeds. Stir frequently to ensure even toasting. Once the seeds are golden and fragrant, turn off heat. Add tamari or soy sauce and stir vigorously until absorbed. This should happen within seconds. Let cool. Store in an airtight container.



Honey Mustard Dressing

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp honey
1 tsp prepared mustard (preferably coarse ground)
1 small clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper

Whisk or stir all ingredients together until emulsified. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.




1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Thanks for doing this Autumn.
    Kaly

    ReplyDelete